We created this guide to make your transition from MailChimp to GetResponse as smooth and painless as possible. When you finish reading, you’ll be equipped with everything you need to do just that.
On that note, we’re thrilled to welcome you aboard! We are sure you'll love it here – just like the 350,000 businesses already using GetResponse for their online marketing.
Let's start this journey together, and move your belongings into your brand new GetResponse account. You’ll be set up in a flash!
In this guide you’ll learn:
- GetResponse account terminology
- How to migrate your subscriber list
- How to transfer your messages
- How to transition or create new sign-up forms
- How to re-set your integrations
- Generally equivalent account tools you’ll recognize
- Powerful tools now at your fingertips
Along with eye-opening online marketing statistics, links to helpful resources, and contact information for our award-winning, 24/7 customer support.
GetResponse account terminology
To get you started, let's take a look at the terminology you'll be seeing throughout your GetResponse account. Some feature names or tools might feel different at first, others won't. We're sure you'll get yourself familiarized in just a few moments.
Migrating your list
Migrating your list is as simple as just a couple of steps. You’ll now be able to enjoy 100% single-opt in for all your imported lists. First, you’ll need to export your subscribers from your MailChimp account.
- To do that, log in to your MailChimp account, go to Lists » select your desired list name. From the View Subscribers view, select all and choose » Export List. Then Export as a CSV file.
- Alternatively, you could create a backup of your entire MailChimp account in one go using the “My Data Backup” option. You may access this via your account menu in the top right corner of the account Account » Settings » Manage my data. From there you may choose “Build My Data Backup” and access the zipped CSV file of your account data.
- With your CSV file of subscribers, you’ll then easily import the list to GetResponse via single opt-in from Contacts » Add Contacts. No re-confirmation required! Simply confirm for us that you have permission to email this list, our Compliance team will run it through our cutting-edge Hydra spam-protection system, and you’ll be on your way in a flash.
Check out this helpful resource to see the process from start to finish.
Here’s an idea! Now that you're migrating your lists to GetResponse, perhaps it's the right time to clean them up a little? Think back if there are any subscribers that you haven't been in touch with for a while or who haven't engaged with your emails. Maybe it's time to re-engage them or let some of them go? Need inspiration? Check out this helpful article.
Whether you routinely sent out text-based emails or complex HTML emails, you can easily move the content over to GetResponse. First, you’ll need to make sure you copy all necessary emails from your MailChimp account.
- For text-based emails, or messages where you’d simply like the text to move over, you can send yourself a copy from the “Preview & Test” icon within the editor (or copy the text directly from the MailChimp editor) and save the text somewhere handy so you can easily copy and paste it into your GetResponse emails.
- Additionally, you could use the “My Data Backup” option in MailChimp to retrieve a full back-up of all of saved templates and their HTML code. You may then easily import your own templates into your GetResponse account. Again, you may access the backup via your account menu in the top right corner, choosing Account » Settings » Manage my data. From there you may choose Build My Data Backup and access the zipped CSV file of your account data. (Please note that due to the nature of HTML coding behavior, you will need to prepare for formatting differences between the MailChimp and GetResponse message editors.)
Make sure that by copying your emails or other content, you do not infringe MailChimp or any other third party’s copyrights or other intellectual property rights.
- With the necessary content at your disposal, in your GetResponse account you’ll follow the simple message setup process for your newsletters and autoresponders. To create a new newsletter, simply go to Messages » Create Newsletter (or Messages » Create Autoresponder) to begin the easy creation process. Please refer to the linked texts above for step-by-step instructions.
- You may choose to create your own messages from scratch in GetResponse, or use one of the 500+ predesigned templates available. The intuitive drag-and-drop editor is at your disposal to customize the templates in minutes. This FAQ will explain in detail all of the editing options you have available.
Ensuring your signup forms are properly set up with your new GetResponse account information may be as simple as replacing a form’s code on your website, or resetting the details for any integrations you use.
- To replace the form’s code on your website, in GetResponse simply go to Forms » Create New to create your own form template, or basic HTML code to work into a custom design you already have on your site, and would like to maintain.
- Alternatively, you may have integrations enabled for the pages where you display sign-up forms. In this case, you could simply set up the sign-up form integration in GetResponse to ensure the form is properly displayed and configured to your proper GetResponse campaign and settings. To do this, go to Forms & surveys » Create Form » Integrations, and you’ll see the list of form integration sites available, along with the opportunity to learn more about configuration.
- Don’t forget to remove any MailChimp form code from your website or disconnect any integrations you’ve established in external, third-party form hosting services.
Speaking of integrations, with GetResponse you’ll find tons of integrations with the services you use most. With over 100 available, it should prove no problem to locate the existing integrations you’ve used with MailChimp, and re-establish the connection in your new GetResponse account.
- You may view all integrations currently available here, and additionally may enable the highly-specified and advanced integrations available within your GetResponse account via My Account » Integrations.
- You may enable any of the integrations by simply selecting the desired service and entering the requested account credentials.
We're always keen on developing new integrations. If you feel like we should add a specific one, reach out to us and let us know!
List of equivalent tools
As briefly covered in the GetResponse terminology section at the beginning of our guide, there are some tools that you used in MailChimp that you may find fairly similar in GetResponse.
- In GetResponse we refer to your email subscribers as Contacts within the account, whereas in your MailChimp account you saw them described as subscribers. You’ll manage your GetResponse Contacts via the Contacts menu in your account.
- In MailChimp you used “Campaigns” to send one-time email blasts to your subscribers. At GetResponse, this type of message is referred to as a Newsletter.
- ACCOUNT COLLABORATOR ACCESS
- Similarly named in MailChimp, as Multi-User accounts, in GetResponse you’ve got Team settings to manage different account collaborator accesses.
- Your Automations in MailChimp, or their legacy follow-ups feature, could in some aspects be called autoresponders in GetResponse. While GetResponse also has a robust Marketing Automation tool, as we’ll detail more below, you’ll also have access to time-based autoresponders to easily set up message cycles. You’ll find the easy setup and drag-and-drop, calendar-style management tool a breeze to work through.
- You’ll find the Campaigns » RSS campaign equivalent in GetResponse known as RSS-to-Email. The set up process will take just a few clicks, and you’ll have your blog subscribers receiving updates in a flash.
- MARKETING AUTOMATION
- With GetResponse you will find highly-advanced marketing automation tools, aimed at the everyday user, no matter the company size or experience. In your (paid) MailChimp account you had access to various Automation tools, based on your account type and access. You’ll be pleased to see how specific you may now take your campaign results monitoring and reacting in GetResponse, and how easy workflows are to create using the drag-and-drop visual editor. You’ll learn more about GetResponse Marketing Automation and access in the “Powerful tools now at your fingertips” section.
- Similar to how you could create Signup forms in your MailChimp account, with GetResponse you can now easily create and fully customize forms to post on your site. Additionally, you may now use list building apps, like exit pop-ups, to increase your form conversions.
- EMAIL ANALYTICS
- Known as Reports in MailChimp, in GetResponse you’ll see all of your key statistics for your messages and contacts under Email Analytics.
- PERFECT TIMING
- Referred to as send-time optimization in MailChimp, with GetResponse you can send your messages based on when each individual subscriber is most likely to open and engage with your message. One size doesn’t fit all when it comes to message send times.
Want to know how your results compare to others? Check out the free free Email Marketing & Beyond: Global Industry Benchmarks 2017report we've created in partnership with Smart Insights and Holistic Email Marketing.
Your sending times may now be as unique (automatically!) as your subscribers with this feature.
Powerful tools now at your disposal
Your access into the world of online marketing has just grown exponentially! You are no longer using just an email marketing account. Your GetResponse account is an all-in-one platform for your online marketing. Here you’ll see a list of powerful new tools you now have at your fingertips, that you may not have had before.
- EXIT POP-UP FORMS AND OTHER LIST BUILDING APPS
- GetResponse Forms go above and beyond. Of course you can create an inline sign-up form to feature on your website, but why not really amp up conversions with exit pop-ups, or shake, delay, and slide forms?
- VISUAL MARKETING AUTOMATION CREATOR
- With GetResponse you have access to powerful Marketing Automation tools, including ecommerce features like abandoned cart, completed purchase, and webpage visited conditions. All GetResponse accounts have access to the visual drag-and-drop workflow editor, as well as the tagging functionality. At no extra cost above the minimum paying package (the $15/monthly Email package), you can make use of the following elements:
- Conditions: subscribed, link clicked, message opened, custom field, if tag, message sent
- Actions: send message, copy to campaign, move to campaign, custom field, wait, tag, move to workflow, copy to workflow, remove contact
- Filters: range, amount, campaign
- Pro-level packages and above have access to all aforementioned elements, as well as the advanced tools: abandoned cart, completed purchase, webpage visited, scoring, and dynamic segmentation.
- Take a look here at the Marketing Automation access levels for the account package that fits your needs
- LANDING PAGES
- Landing pages and online marketing go hand-in-hand. GetResponse has a complete landing page feature included in the account so you may create professional pages in minutes.
- GetResponse is the first email marketing provider to include a webinar solution under the same roof as your online marketing features.
- 24/7 SUPPORT
- Don’t wait for the Support team to come online for standard 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. business hours. GetResponse Support is available day and night. Bonus! Don’t go looking for the chat window. It follows you around the account in a handy but unobtrusive chat icon.
- Easily create surveys in your GetResponse account and use them to learn more about your subscribers, which will then allow you to adapt your marketing strategy based on their responses.
Don’t just take our word for it
It’s an all-in-one platform which is completely brilliant. And there’s no need to spend hundreds of dollars a month extra. I absolutely love the power it offers.
Reno van Bowen – Yoonla TM
Top 25 Enterprise Software Products
GetResponse has been included in G2Crowd’s list of Top 25 Enterprise Software Products, showcasing services that enterprise users have rated highly, based on customer satisfaction score.
Check out other top spots we’ve snagged.